Bria

Bria

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Traveling with the Dog

To a dog, motoring isn't just a way of getting from here to there, it's also a thrill and an adventure. The mere jingle of car keys is enough to send most any dog into a whimpering, tail-wagging frenzy. ~Jon Winokur

I guess my dog isn't most any dog. Sure enough, she's interested when you have jingling car keys and going towards a car, but once she's in there, she just conks out! I'm not complaining, of course. This little feature on the 2010 Border Collie is definitely worth the extra money.

I am simply amazed by this little dog. She settles down right away in her kennel and hardly makes a peep. She doesn't get sick or make a mess. And Little Miss got to ride in style in the passenger's seat of my '92 Chevy Silverado today. Lucky dog. =D

Little Miss logged about 8 hours in the car in the past three days. 3+ hours to the coast on Tuesday. Out and about with me helping a friend pick up hay for her horse. And another 3+ hours on the ride back to the farm. Bria did spectacularly. I'm so proud of her. She is exactly what I've always wanted in a dog of my own. Basically...constant companion.

Bree got to be an indoor dog for a few days, too. With cats! The big male cat wasn't fond of her, but the two females didn't seem to be bothered by the pup at all. Her first night as an indoor dog, I ended up watching some movies, and Bree asked to be on my lap. So I had a lap dog for several hours. She just lounged across my lap like it was old hat. And yes, I know letting her sit on my lap now is a very bad idea once she gets older. But it was one night, and I enjoyed it.

She got to meet my friend's dog. Tex is a big ol' Husky/German Shepherd mutt dog (adorable!). He was very nice and patient with Miss Bria. Only gave a warning growl a time or two when she got overly excited, but over all, it was a good experience for her.

Little Miss did run into her first fleas yesterday. Goodness sakes. The dog was nuts! She'd gone crackerdog! ...to quote Mrs. Pomfrey with Trick-Woo from the James Herriot books. I walked her up and down the driveway for ages, and she didn't settle down at all. Ended up going to Walmart at 1am to buy her a flea collar. I think that is helping some.

So we're finally back on the farm, and Grandma and I were unloading some things from the truck. Grandma remarked that Bria has seemed to learn to stick around pretty well. Pup was off-leash while we carried things inside. Bree just chilled in the shade of the pickup. Even when some dogs barked across the way and a horse across the road startled her and she wuff-wuffed, she didn't go anywhere. She sticks to me pretty well. I'm quite pleased with it, even though she doesn't really know Come yet. If you walk off and call her name, she'll come a-runnin'...or at least she does when I do it! Haha. Good pup.

In any case, that pretty much brings us up to date with the goings-on. Perhaps I will have some pictures or video of the Little Miss tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here!